Sunday, March 14, 2010

What I'm Listening to Now

When I listen to Patsy Cline, I'm simultaneously a dog-eared little girl sitting on her Daddy's lap, helping him drive his truck (Brown Boy), down a dirt road on a late Saturday afternoon; and an embittered, middle-aged beauty, chain-smoking Pall-Mall's in a country pool hall. I'm simultaneously 7 again, helping my Grum-Grum shell peas and shooing away mangy kittens; and a grandmother myself, thumbing through old pictures for her husband's memorial service, remembering the boy who took me to my first homecoming dance, the boy who died in Korea.
Her music has the power, for me, to connect my identity now with my past - my family - and to make me feel like a totally different person. Which is, I think, the sign of a great storyteller. Enjoy this clip of her singing my favorite song.

No comments:

Post a Comment