Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reynoldstown On the Rise

Today my "Church and Community Development" class took a field trip to the "Resources for Residents and Communities" center located in historic Reynoldstown. Reynoldstown is a community founded by freed slaves in 1886. It was settled by those looking for work in the rail yard and Stein Steel Company, which is still in existance. It is located off of Moreland, right down from Little 5. It was really cool. We got to speak to the workers of the RRC about the work they do with youth, seniors, and especially homeowners and homeowners-to-be. The community has come a long way in the 21 years the RRC has been in existance. The community is now ethnically, economically, and architecturally diverse. The best part of the trip was the tour of the colorful, vibrant neighborhood. . .which I'll share with you now!
This might look kindof trashy, but this house is actually really cool. The owner has limited yard space, but she still tricked it out with yard art and chickens! This house is right next to the RRC building.









The Magnetic Theater is now defunct, but was housed in one of the oldest churches in the neighborhood. The stone was quarried from Stone Mountain. They're looking for a current buyer. My classmates, from left to right: Lucas, Johann, Joung-Gu.





My class



From l to r: Corey, Gandhi, Reggie


I was complaining that, since I love to take pictures, I never get to be in any. So the Parkview Patriot graciously took this photo (thanks, Reggie!).


I'm little obsessed with pictures of doorways.

I really like the green doorframe and matching iron settee. The homes in this neighboorhood favored the old-style, 1950's iron patio furniture. Actually, that's a trend I've noticed all over Atlanta.



According to my classmates, this is a memorial to someone who has died.

This type of Zen-like, rock garden is popular in the neighborhood, especially among owners of the more modern-looking homes.


More chickens! These guys were just chillin' on the front steps - they weren't even fenced in!


This homeowner incorporated the logo for the Reynoldstown Neighborhood Association into his porch! The rising sun is a symbol of renewal, and goes along with their motto, "Reynoldstown On the Rise!" How beautiful is that?

Pictures of the local memorial garden.

This lady made art to hang from her tree.

Young Hughley, the head honcho at the RRC

Benita Taylor works with youth and seniors in the neighborhood.


More of my class before everyone got there.
Back row, l to r: Kathy, Sam, Marissa
Front: Randy, Jason, John

5 comments:

  1. Whitney you take beautiful pictures! I visited Reynoldstown with my CCL class my first year at Candler (this Bethany btw). I'm just wondering, what type of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I got a Canon powershot SX120IS for Christmas and I have so much fun playing around with it! Someday I'd like a tricked-out DSLR, but in the meantime, this takes great pix and is relatively small. I didn't know you blogged, btw. I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following! I just started in January as part of my new year's resolution. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Reynoldstown is "on the rise" I hope its current residents will still be able to afford to live there.

    There always seem to be people who suffer from these renewals, and I'd like to see Reynoldstown be a place that is transformed from the inside out, rather than by wealthier people buying up inexpensive property.

    Thanks for the awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acree -
    Yes, that is always a concern. That is something that the RRC has been and continues to work against. One way that they help homeowners keep their homes is by ensuring that property values remain the same as when you bought it, until such time as you are ready to sell. That way, homeowners know what their taxes are going to be. That community organization does some awesome work. It's good to see a positive example of true community development. In Atlanta, we have a lot of negative examples, like what happenend in Peoplestown. But, there are some really vibrant, exciting things happening here, too. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete