Thursday, March 25, 2010

Surrounded by Prayers

This week is "Tibet Week" at Emory. I'm not really sure what all that entails, but we have a relationship with the Dalai Lama. Once a year he comes and lectures. So, throughout the school year there will be awareness events about Buddhism and Tibet. There's all kinds of cool stuff that goes on, like mandala sand paintings and meditation lead by Buddhist monks. As I was walking across campus, I noticed all these beautiful Tibetan prayer flags hung up across the quad. Then, on the second floor of our building, I noticed an interactive prayer display set up in honor of Women's Week/Lent. One of the prayer stations was a "prayer tree." Throughout time and all over the world, people have written their prayers on scraps of cloth and tied them to trees. I loved the juxtaposition on my campus between these two beautiful traditions. It made me feel surrounded by prayers and connected to people across cultures and throughout time. Hope you enjoy the pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment